Services that you need to redirect, cancel, or change
- Sky Television
- Gas and power: change address and arrange for a final reading
- Water (if you are attached to rural supply)
In the days leading up to the move
- Defrost your freezer and the refrigerator freezing box
- Drain the fuel tanks of petrol-driven garden tools, like mowers
- Set aside possessions that won’t be included in the move
- Empty rubbish bins
- Shut down washing machine water inlets and ensure the machine is drained
Organisation that need to know your change of address
- New Zealand Post mail redirect
- Insurance provider (for all insurance – health, life, house and contents, car etc)
- Electoral roll
- Transfer to a new bank branch
- Local government for rates
- Your pet’s vet
If we are moving your possessions into storage
- Remove food – it will probably spoil
- Remove inflammable liquids such as paint, kerosene, aerosols and gas cylinders. We can’t store these as they are classified as dangerous goods
- Don’t leave breakable goods to rattle around in drawers – remove and pack them. Examples are mirrors, bottles of perfume and aftershave
Prepare for the moving day
- Ensure that you and we agree on the day and time of the move.
- Dispose of any goods that you don’t need at the new address
- Dispose of inflammable goods such as paint and kerosene – we can’t carry them – or label them clearly for the new owner or tenant.
- Get the local service station to empty your gas cylinders for carriage
- Dismantle and disconnect wide-screen TVs (you might need professional help)
- Set aside a box and place all audio, video and power cables, plugs and chords in it, each labelled to reassemble easily.
- Photograph the back of your stereo and TV so you know where to plug the chords when you reassemble
- Set aside a box for all important personal documents and keep them with you and in one place.
- Keep jewellery together and with you
On the big day
- Empty your freezer and fridge and wrap the food in a blanket to insulate it during the move (for local moves only).
- Ensure all goods are taken and that all arrive.